Monday 2 March 2009

Quick, Easy, & Delicious Raw Dinner

Yummety Yummety Yum! Pictured above: Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce

Still floating around from my raw chef's class on Sunday, I shopped for 'Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce' and 'Date Nut Torte'.

These were two of my favorite raw dishes, and noting how quick and easy they were to make, I figured I'd dazzle Steve with a great dinner.

He thinks he won the dinner lottery because of my renewed passion in un-cooking! When I'm into something, I AM INTO SOMETHING! My friend listened to me glow on about the course and the lovely teacher, the surroundings, the food, my future in raw foods, everything, and I suddenly noticed myself and stopped talking, aware that I'd been going on a while. She said, "No, go on! I love seeing you all fired up and I can't wait to see you go 500% into this!" xo

Back to dinner, I had most of the ingredients here, but needed to pick up fresh zucchini so I could spiralize it into 'noodles'. I used my trusty spiral slicer (shown below), and cranked out a big bowl of 'pasta' with it.
Here's the recipe:

Angel Hair Pasta and Marinara Sauce

3-4 zucchini

Marinara Sauce:

2 1/2 cups tomatoes

1/4 cup olive oil

4 cloves garlic

1/8 tsp cayenne

12 sundried tomatoes, soaked

1 tsp celtic sea salt

2 tbs parsley (oregano/basil/italian spice)

3 pitted dates

Directions:

Spiralize the zucchini (or slice *very* thin if you don't own a spiralizer)

Pour angel hair zucchini pasta into a bowl

Place all of the Marinara Sauce ingredients into the food processor and blend until smooth.

Pour sauce over angel hair zucchini and serve. (Rawkin' note: I smooshed it all in there with my bare hands, coating the whole business with the sauce.)

For dessert, we enjoyed Date Nut Torte. I pretty much promise you will too!

Date Nut Torte

Fudgy, creamy, and sweet!

Base of Tort:

2 cups raisins

2 cups walnuts

Frosting:

1 cup dates, pitted and soaked

3 tbsp lemon juice

For Base: In a food processor, combine raisins and walnuts and process until well blended and moist. (This will take a few minutes and you may see it forming into a ball. Just make sure the raisins come out looking like a fudgy mixture and are not still grainy. Remove from processor and mold onto a plate in a circle about 1 1/2 inches thick.

For Frosting: In a food processor, combine dates and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Spread the frosting on top of the torte.

Note: I like this served at room temp as the frosting and torte are still sticky, but if you want a firmer texture that will be easier to slice, refrigerate it for a few hours.

Both recipes are from Living On Live Food - Alissa Cohen, and are just 2 of 9 yummelicious dishes you can learn to make at the Level One Living on Live Raw Chef Course.

Here's a piccy of this divine dessert:

Rawk n' Roll!

2 comments:

Bootzey said...

I have that Saladaco thingy. Yes it works, but it is SHARP. I injured my finger on that thing so deep that it required stitches. Be very careful.

BTW: Very nice blog....

Rawkin' said...

Oh! My Darling! I'm so surprised to hear a Saladaco could be so nasty! I'm also grateful for the heads up, thank you. Sorry about your finger!

Thank you re my blog! That is very kind of you to say. I am loving documenting my raw path and it is a constant delight to 'meet' new people this way.

Thanks for stopping by!

All the best,
Rawkin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!