Saturday 14 March 2009

fajitas marinating

Yesterday, I made raw fajitas for dinner, once again determined to leave for our open mic on a full stomach. Mission accomplished! With another full week of raw under my (shrinking) belt, it was even easier to pass on the restaurant food than last week.

The owner asked us why we didn't want dinner, and I started to tell him that we already ate at home, but my boyfriend enthused that we'd changed our lifestyle and had gone raw.

Of course, he had questions, and it was fun to answer and chat about raw. I don't preach it, but I'm always happy to share about it!

Speaking of sharing, next week, I told him I'd bring in some raw desserts for him to try out. I figure I can't go wrong bringing raw brownies, raw apple pie (rawpple!) and some date nut torte...mmmmm! I'm looking forward to seeing his delight!

I had my green smoothie today, this time, early! Every day is different. Yesterday, I didn't want anything until afternoon, and other days, like today, I wake up ready to eat my own arm. I just go with whatever my body wants because it's not steering me wrong like this. I don't trust the signals on S.A.D. (Standard American Diet) foods, but it's all pretty real with raw.

I decided to go to Commercial Drive and pick up some fresh organic veggies so I could make Tabouleh and zucchini with marinara sauce for dinner. (Angel Hair Pasta with Marinara Sauce.)
It was one of those rainy afternoons where I really felt like preparing food, so I had a great time with the tunes cranked. That only *seems* hip... In truth, the tunes were 'early music', as in , middle ages. Gettin' old ain't for sissies! ;)

2 1/2 cups cucumber, 1 cup tomato, 1 cup parsley


some oil and spices and WALLA! Tabouleh!
This is the whole dish. Each serving would be about 1/8 of that.
It's pretty intense and garlic-y. Delish!

When I made the marinara sauce and spiralized my zucchini, it occurred to me to dehydrate it to warm it in time for dinner. So I put it in a big pyrex 'pan' and took the bottom few shelves out of my dehydrator so I could place it in there.

Seeing it like that reminded me of lasagna so I decided then and there to make a 'cheese' from the cashews I had in my cupboard. Usually cheese recipes also call for mac nuts or pine nuts but I made a basic one in the food processor:

1 cup raw cashews
1/3-1/2 cup water, add slowly for desired consistency
1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
2 tsps lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
½ tsps sea salt

I mixed the cheese in with the zucchini and marinara sauce and enjoyed a very rich, filling, and satisfying dinner, that won rave reviews! I decided to call it Cheesy Marinara:

Doesn't that look great? It really was! It even looks baked! I just dehydrated it at 105 for an hour and a half and presto change-o dinner was served.

Enjoy your dinner Rawkers!

4 comments:

Gloria said...

That was the best cheese ever. I've added it to my recipe collection and gave it the title "The Best Pasta Cheese Ever." We had your cheesy marinara for lunch today and the cheese really complimented the marinara and gave it that little extra to push it into the delicious category. So, so good....thank you!!!!

Rawkin' said...

Right on, Gloria!! I'm so glad you enjoyed this for lunch! As for the cheese recipe, it was so spur of the moment, that I had to go with what I had on hand, so I adapted from a few combined recipes, adding the nutrional yeast at the last minute, because I always thought it smelled like cheese (or socks, the jury's out!) In any case, I'm delighted that you enjoyed it :)

xo
Rawkin'

Zucchini Breath said...

And now you have officially given me dinner ideas for the rest of the week.

I vow to serve a raw casserole for dinner tonight!

I really need to stop copying you! :)

Cheers!

Rawkin' said...

Hi Zucchini Baby :)

Yay! I hope you love the casserole! I'm glad you've got dinner ideas! There's nothing better than being well-prepared when hunger strikes at dinner time. I've done so much better keeping raw since I have a plan. :)

Enjoy your dinner!

xo
Rawkin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!