Wednesday 4 March 2009

It's Carrot Day! Did you get the day off work?

Mom always said, "Don't play ball in the house" Oh wait! Wrong channel. Mom always said, "Eat your carrots, they're good for your eyes!"


Guess what, she was right (about both things).


Carrots have beta-carotene which, once in the body, converts to Vitamin A. And Vitamin A helps us see in dim light. Not getting enough Vitamin A can actually lead to night blindness.


Beta-carotene is an anti-oxident, which fights the free-radicals that contribute to the usual array of disease conditions.


Feed them daily to the men in your life, too, because it's been reported that men with high levels of Beta-carotene have a lower incidence of lung cancer.


The fiber in carrots can trap the beta-carotene, so for us Rawkers it's best to eat them juiced, smoothied, or chopped in order to release the beta-carotene and allow for direct absorption.


And here's one for ya: When you buy carrots raw at the store, cut off the leafy tops before storing, or they will suck out all the vitamins.


Speaking of carrot tops, there is some debate over whether you can eat them, as they may be allergenic to some. Some say 'Don't eat carrot tops because they're toxic!!!' But it's just like peanuts: they are allergenic to some but aren't toxic in and of themselves. Just like any conflicting food information out there.

The Carrot Museum (you read that right!) says they are edible and are highly nutritive, being rich in protein, minerals and vitamins. Carrot greens are high in vitamin K, which is lacking in the carrot itself. Carrot tops are also an outstanding source of chlorophyll, which studies have shown to combat the growth of tumours. Chlorophyll contains cleansing properties that purify the blood, lymph nodes, and adrenal glands.

They're loaded with potassium, which can make them taste bitter. Cooked folks add them to soup bases, and raw folks add them to salads, smoothies and juices, or use them as a garnish. (source)



So, toxic? Well...I tend to side with folks who know so much about carrots that they have a museum, but as to eating the tops, I'll do it, but...you go first. hahaha



Having said all that, I didn't use them at all today, because I bought carrots without tops!

Today, I made Carrot Bread and Carrot-Pecan Burgers.


First, a Carrot Bread pictorial. I really hope you stayed home today, cuz this is good stuff ;)


I pulse-chopped 6 carrots in the food processor, then added 1 apple:
To this mixture, I added 3/4 cups soaked pecans, twice. (I doubled the original recipe)
Then 5 soaked and pitted dates...as I type this, I realize I forgot to double the dates. Oh well, it'll still be GREAT, because carrots are sweet and delicious!Next, I added 1/4 cups (twice) of ground flax. I poured a little of the date soak-water in it to help it blend. Then the food processor did its thing and this is what it looked like:And then I formed it into :
It's in the dehydrator right now, at 145 degrees for an hour and a half, after which time I will flip it off the teflex sheet onto the mesh screen, score it into pieces, lower the temperature to 110 and keep going for about 7 or 8 hours.

Update: Scored!


In other words, I whipped it up at 10 this morning, and it will be ready at dinner. I won't eat them for dinner, but store them, as it makes a great breakfast bread. The actual prep time took about 15 minutes, and the rest of the time is just wankin' in the dehydrator while I go and carry out my day. Easy Peasy.



While I had the carrots out, I decided to make the Carrot Pecan Burgers we love so much around here. That will be what we eat for dinner, along with a fresh salad and avocado fries.
Hearts because I feel mushy today. I'm so in love with my boyfriend and we lazed about in bed today for an extra hour and it was such a tonic! I don't know if these corny hearts will show up once these are dehydrated, but ya can't say I didn't put love into it. ;)

Carrot Pecan Burgers

"These are to LIVE for! A moist and utterly delectable patty. Top with curry sauce for an exotic taste explosion!" - Alissa Cohen


Ingredients:
4 medium carrots
1 c pecans
1 c mushrooms (I use portebello)
1 c onion
3 tblsp cilantro
2 tblsp olive oil
1/2 teasp dried fennel
1/2 teasp coriander
1/2 teasp curry
1/2 teasp sea salt
pinch black pepper


Directions: Blend carrots in a food processor until diced. Add remaining ingr. and blend until smooth. Form into burgers onto a mesh dehydrator screen, dehydrate at 105 for 7-8 hours.

Great with ezekiel sprouted grain burger buns or any home-dehydrated breads.

And here's the whole business going in. I'll update when they all come out.

I made everything thicker than usual, because I always start out with what I think are large burgers and they shrink down when dehydrated, so I'm onto it, finally. They may take more time this way, I don't know, and don't much care, since there's still collard rolls and salad left over from last night's scrumpdillyicious dinner.


UPDATE: Here's my dinner!It was so fabulous!! The carrot pecan burgers always darken up, and beside that are the avocado fries. I used Ezekiel sesame bread for the 'bun'. I made curry sauce to go on the burgers and it gave them such a kick! This was so satisfying and delicious! Give it a go!

Here's the recipe for the Curry Sauce: (Alissa Cohen)
1 whole orange, peeled
1/3 cup raisins, soaked
1 large clove garlic
1/2 Tbs curry
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp fresh ginger
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.


And the thicker carrot bread, I am just experimenting in textures. UPDATE: This bread is perfection!! I know I said it's for breakfast, but I already ate one!

Notice that my dehydrator sits atop my gas stove, permanently. A couple years ago we shut off the gas and haven't used the stove or oven since. The inside is just storage and the knobs, purely decorative! haha


Happy Carrot Day!

6 comments:

Vibrantly Raw said...

These look amazing!!! I am going to make them.... Also can you please tel my kids about the fact that mom's are right[hahaha]

LOVE ALWAYS

Rawkin' said...

Hi Sweetie!

I love saying that! :)

Make both the carrot burgers and the carrot bread...they're both ace! And I'm happy to tell your kids but I'm way over 30 and I don't think they'll listen to me either! ;)

xo
Rawkin'

Anonymous said...

hey babe. i add tops from the carrots in my garden to my smoothies on a regular basis - your turn!!! victoria boutenko says the tops are much better for you than the bottoms :) which is evidenced by your info. happy carrot day!

sg

Rawkin' said...

Hi SG

PERFECT! Thank you!! I will too!

So carrots are like beets then: when you buy them, you get 2 vegetables in one.

I juice my beet greens, so now my carrot greens too!

Thanks Honey!!

:)
xo
Rawkin'

Zucchini Breath said...

If i get carrots with tops on them i will chop up the leaves and toss them with my dinner salad. No symptoms so far but it's not very often. Once a year or something?

Rawkin' said...

Ah, cool, Zucchini Breath, thanks. I think I'm feelin' ready!
Over a salad sounds good.
xo
Rawkin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!