Thursday 21 May 2009

Russell James' Nutfree Bread

So I finally done-did it! Made the Nutfree Bread I've been threatening to make for a while now.Sprout buckwheat ahead of time. Do this by putting 2-1/2 cups dry buckwheat in a big jar, add three times more water, cover it and leave it for a few hours (3-8/overnight.) Some say don't soak buckwheat very long, hence the 3 hours, because they say it gets waterlogged. I did mine overnight, no problem.) Once they have soaked, rinse them really, really, really well and then rinse them again. Buckwheat groats produce the starchiest, slimiest water. Rinse them in a colander with tiny mesh holes until the water runs clear and is not slimy.

Then wash out your jar and throw your freshly rinsed buckwheat back into the jar, this time, covering the mouth of the jar with either mesh or nylon stocking held by an elastic band.

Then tip the jar onto a 45 degree angle into a bowl and let it sit like that, draining into the bowl, on your counter, for a couple days. Be sure to rinse them twice per day; this is important.

Sounds like a lot of messing around? Well, yeah, it is, actually. But it's always a kinda neat rhythm you get into. Also, buckwheat is very satisfying to sprout, as it rewards you with little tails within the first day! It's also way worth it for this bread :)

Nutfree Bread - Russell James

Makes 18 slices

1/2c olive oil
1 ½c sun dried tomatoes
3c sprouted buckwheat (you get this by sprouting 2 ½c dry)
1 ½c flax meal
3 ½c peeled zucchini, roughly chopped
2c apple, cored and roughly chopped
3T lemon juice
2 avocados
1 large onion
½c minced parsley

- Process the olive oil, sun dried toms, sprouted buckwheat, zucchini, apple, lemon juice, avocados, onion and herbs until thoroughly mixed.

- Transfer to a large bowl and mix with the flax meal by hand. The reason you do this separately (not in the processor) is that you are likely to have too much mixture for the size if the processor at this point, and when you add the flax meal it will become quite heavy and sticky and overwork your machine.

- When mixed, process the whole batter in the machine again, but in small batches to achieve a light fluffy texture.

- Divide the mixture in half and place on Teflex sheets on dehydrator trays.

- Use a spatula to spread the mixture evenly to all 4 sides and corners of the Teflex sheet. If mixture is too sticky you can wet the spatula to make things easier. With a knife score the whole thing into 9 squares.

- Dehydrate for 2 hours and then remove the Teflex sheets by placing another dehydrator tray and mesh on top and invert so that your original sheet of bread is upside down. That will allow you to peel the Teflex sheet off and continue to dehydrate the underside of the bread.

- Dehydrate for approx 8 hours more (do this overnight so you’re not tempted to eat it before it’s ready) or until bread feels light in your hand. If the pieces don’t fully come apart where you scored, use a knife to cut them.

*****************************************

And then what did I do? I made a spread with nuts in it! (Eggless Egg Salad has cashews!) DOH! But ask me if I regret it. Go on, ask me... ;)

This was the most delicious freakin' sandwich in the history of my rawness. Spread both sides of the bread with the Eggless spread, then add spinach leaves, then red pepper, chopped jalapeno, and tomato, and MAN! El-Yummerino!!! So good it makes you say weird stuff like El-Yummerino.

Honestly, worth the buckwheatin', this one!

Ya know, it wasn't until after I had this bread going in the dehydrator that I realized, hey, no spices...not even salt! It's just fine without, and it's refreshing to me to go that route. Me likey!

6 comments:

Misty said...

My dear, you have the patience of a saint! I just started with raw foods about two weeks ago, and I have become very worried that I don't know what I'm doing LOL.
I'm glad I found your site, your posts are great - very detailed and best of all, I love your humor! Keep it up for us insecure rawies :)

Rawkin' said...

Hi Misty,
Thanks so much for your comment, and for reading the blog. I hope you come back! Being new at raw is such a great time, very exciting. It realllllly doesn't have to be as complicated as all this messin' around with buckwheat and stuff like that. Raw is fresh fruit & vegetables, smoothies, and juices... best to keep it simple, honestly. The days I keep it simple are the days I feel like a million bucks! And the days I feel like messin' around in the kitchen, I go for it in a big way!

Thanks for hangin out with me :)
all the best on your raw journey!

xo
Rawkin'

Judy@StrawCottage said...

What happened? Hope you are OK.

Rawkin' said...

Hi Judy,

Thanks for your concern! And for the kick in the pants! :)

I'm okay, just hyper-focused on an other area of my life... music.

We have started our 2nd CD, spending our time in a locked-out studio, makin' music. Too much fun.

Of course, with odd hours and musicians, my eating's suffered and when we all go for a much needed break, I eat what's going on at the nearby cafe. That said, I did start today with a smoothie and did it ever feel great to get back on track that way.

I'll be back with more blogging, and I appreciate that you're thinking of me.

xo
Rawkin'

mikelleg@hotmail.com said...

hey rawkin~ hope you're having a beautiful time doin whatever you're doin'. just wanted to let you know that i love your posts and hope to see some rawkin bloggin again. if blogging is in your rear view, then i definitely want to say THANKS :)

Rawkin' said...

Hey Mikelleg, you have made my day.
I love your attitude; much appreciated. I am, in fact, involved with some very exciting things in my life (which unfortunately for this blog) have nothing to do with raw! I am admittedly patchy in my rawness these days, but rockin' hard in other areas, namely my music. I know the two will meet but today is not the day ;)
Thanks so much for your uplifting comment.

xo
Rawkin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!