Thursday 12 February 2009

What a meal! Nutritious AND delicious...and filling as all get-out. I didn't need anything beyond this meal for the rest of the night. Oh wait, true to self, I did manage to have a raw vegan brownie after coming in from my evening. But that wasn't hunger, it was seeing my boyfriend grab one out of the freezer and me going, "Oh yeaaaaah...I forgot about theeeeeese....!"

So in the bowl on the left is raw chili from Gabriel Cousens' Rainbow Green Live-Food Cuisine. It's on the back pages here somewhere, but it can stand being repeated here, it is that good, and that easy.

Chili

serves 4

Before starting anything, soak sundried tomatoes in water about an hour.

Chop up:
2 carrots
2 celery
1 red pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup leek
Add about 1/8 cup olive oil and a touch of Celtic salt (original recipe calls for 1/4 c oil...I find it too much)
stir it up and put it in your dehydrator for an hour.

During that time, in the food processor add:
1/2 cup soaked sun dried tomatoes
4 tomatoes
2 avocados
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
A little more Celtic/Rock salt (optional...I don't)
2 tablespoon Chili powder (I use Mexican chili powder)
2 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch o' cayenne (HOT!)

Mix this with the veggies above and put it back in the dehydrator for one more hour


Even without a dehydrator, this recipe is great. The veggies, which should be really small cubes, will just be crunchier if you skip this step. The flavors are just so yummy!!

Around the salad bowl, you'll see three slices of carrot bread. I can't even begin to tell you how delicious this was. Sweet n' hearty, it was likely the easiest bread recipe ever. The amount below makes one dehydrator tray, but the recipe is easy to double/triple, etc. I got this from Goneraw, and I tweaked it to my tastes. The original called for agave or other sweetener, and I find carrots and apples already sweet enough. Honestly, this was just perfect. I could have eaten the whole batch myself but my boyfriend wouldn't let me. I'll have to make this on a day he's not home :)


Carrot Bread

M
akes one dehydrator tray
Soak dates and pecans an hour or so ahead of time...the pecans can soak a lot longer but I sometimes don't bother. Don't tell the Raw Police.

Ingredients:


3 medium carrots

1/2 apple

3/4 c pecans, soaked

5 dates, pitted, soaked

1/4 c. flax seeds ground

dash salt

dash cinnamon


Preparation:
Blend carrots and apple in food processor, set aside

Blend dates and pecans in food processor, add to carrot apple mixture.

Add flax to mixture.

Add salt and cinnamon to taste.

Add a little water if needed


Spread on dehydrator sheet about 1/4-1/2" thick. Score into squares with a wet knife.

Dehydrate at 145 for 1 hour, then turn down to 110 and dehydrate 6 hours or until desired texture is achieved.




Yummity Yummity Yum!!!!

1 comment:

Rawkin' said...

Zucchini Breath Baby, you'll definitely <3 that carrot bread!!

xo
Rawkin'

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Rawkin' on Facebook!